Combat Inflammation And Diseases With This Caramelized Cabbage Saute Recipe
Cabbage has long been known for its numerous health benefits, such as being rich in phytonutrients, but most people rarely enjoy eating a bowl full of chopped cabbage.
However, with a bit of finesse and the addition of some tasty ingredients, you can easily make a mouthwatering recipe that will make you fell in love with cabbage.
A perfect example for such recipe is the Caramelized Cabbage Sauté. This simple recipe not only has an amazing taste, but it also contains high amounts of essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs in order to function optimally.
Health Benefits of Caramelized Cabbage Sauté
– Green Cabbage is best known for its high levels of phytonutrients. In addition, it is also high in vitamin C and has powerful anti-inflammatory properties as a result of its high content of polyphenols.
– Onion is a low-calorie veggie that can help improve your immune system and reduce inflammation. It is also a good source of many important nutrients, including vitamins B6, B9, and C, manganese, phosphorus, and magnesium. Moreover, onions also contain significant amounts of quercetin, a flavonoid which is scientifically proven to have anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, and antidiabetic properties.
– Olive oil is full of oleocanthal, a type of natural phenolic compound that fights inflammation and reduces the risk of cancer. It is also a great source of polyphenols and helps increase the absorption of calcium in the body.
– Grass-Fed Butter is loaded with butyrate, a powerful anti-inflammatory fatty acid that helps your digestive system to function properly. In addition to this, grass-fed butter is also a great source of vitamins A, D, E, and K, manganese, zinc, copper, chromium, and selenium.
– Garlic contains a compound called allicin, which is known for its lipid-lowering, anti-blood coagulation, anti-hypertension, antioxidant and anti-microbial effects. It is also rich in some important vitamins and minerals, such as manganese, vitamin C, calcium, copper, iron, vitamin B6, selenium, phosphorus, and vitamin B1.
– Turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help detoxify the liver and protect from free radicals.
How To Make Caramelized Cabbage Saute
– 1 medium head green cabbage (cut into ¾” slices)
– 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tbsp grass fed butter
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– ¼ tsp turmeric powder
– Sea salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion and cook 3-4 minutes until soft.
3. Add garlic, stir and cook 30 seconds.
4. Turn up the heat to medium-high and add ⅓ of cabbage.
5. Stir and mix together with onions and garlic.
6. Let the mixture sit and the cabbage brown slightly.
7. Turn the cabbage over using a spatula to brown the other side.
8. Add another ⅓ of the cabbage and a tablespoon of grass-fed butter. Flip the cabbage again after 3 minutes.
9. Add the rest of the cabbage and butter, and let it brown to your liking.
10. Remove from heat, and season with red pepper flakes (optional).