A couple of great ways to make perfect home-made chips
For people who want to experiment with their meals, here you will find a few suggestions and recipes to make perfect chips, which will not necessarily be fried. We all know the classic and really, really tasty fried potato chips. The only problem with our homemade chips is – it softens in less than 20 minutes after serving it. What is the secret of the crispness of the chips we buy in the supermarket? How to keep your homemade chips crispy after preparation? You are lucky – keep reading and you will find the answer!
The potato is by far the most popular ingredient for making chips. You sure have heard of how low with calories potato is, and how cholesterol free it is. The things you less know about potato are: the potato is also a good source of potassium, vitamin C (even more than the tomato), fiber, B6 and even iron. Now, when it comes to potato, most of us prefer to eat it fried, rather than boiled. The less healthier option maybe, but the tastier – for sure.
o How to make perfect potato chips?
Usually when we make potato chips we just peel the potatoes and cut them identical slices, put them in already heated oil and when fried we put them in a plate and serve it. What we get from that? Oily portion of soft potatoes! If you want to avoid this – here is one useful tip: wash the slices of potato after cutting it, make sure you completely dry them. Par-boil them and drain them again. Spray the chips with oil and drain it again. Only before serving put it again in preheated oil for just a minute. That way – the chips will crisp and will not soften after serving it. So, the secret is: double frying. Voila!
Now, why wouldn’t we try some healthier variant of our favorite snack? You may find really tasty the baked chips, for example. Here are some suggestions for perfect baked and fried homemade chips!
Recipe 1: Baked Potato Chips
Invite your friends to come over and watch some movie, and surprise them with this
amazingly easy to prepare, but tasty snack.
What you need:
– Vegetable-oil cooking spray
– 2 pounds russet potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
– 3 tablespoons olive oil
– Coarse salt
– Pinch of cayenne pepper
– Freshly ground pepper
1. Oven should be preheated to 400 degrees. Then spray 2 baking sheets with cooking
spray. In a large bowl put the potatoes, 1 tablespoon salt, oil and the cayenne
2. Season everything with pepper.
3. Arrange the slices of potato onto the baking sheets. Bake a little, and then rotate the sheets halfway through, until the potatoes become crispy. The process lasts about 30 minutes. Then let the potatoes dry for five minutes. Season them with salt.
Recommendations: If you want, you can try seasoning with other spices. That way you will get chips in many tastes.
Tip: If some slices brown quicker than the other, you should remove them, and continue
baking the rest of the slices.
Recipe 2: Flavored Potato Chips
How nice it would be to have your favorite snack in many different tastes. Than why wouldn’t you try to prepare it yourself? Nice, easy and fun!
What you need:
For 8 to 10 servings:
– 2 bags of plain potato chips (or already fried by yourself)
– Roasted Garlic Spice
– 8 cloves garlic
– 1 teaspoon salt
– Black peppercorn
– ½ teaspoon powder from mustard
– Pinch chili powder
1. First of all – preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Arrange the chips onto a cooking sheet and bake it.
2. Take the chips out of the oven after a while and sprinkle it with garlic spice. Let it cool and here is a perfect snack almost prepared.
3. Now we need the spice, to flavor the chips. Put the dried garlic, salt, a little peppercorn, the mustard powder and the chili powder in a grinder.
4. Slice the garlic into very thin slices.
5. Place the sliced garlic onto a baking sheet and bake it until the garlic dries. This would last for 15 minutes. After that, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
6. Mix everything together. Grind them up and enjoy the unbelievable taste!
Recommendations: You are always free to experiment. If you have no time for making special flavor for the chips, you can always flavor in with sea salt and vinegar. Many people find in delicious, so wouldn’t you try it!?
Tip: Spread the potato slices evenly on a baking sheet (even if you need – use more than
one). Try not to put the slices on top of each other.
Recipe 3: Sweet Potato Chips
Surprise your children with extra size homemade potato chips. You couldn’t find bigger potatoes in
the supermarket? Recall the sweet potato and you will get a perfect, fun and easy to prepare snack!
What you need:
– Sweet potatoes
– Olive oil
– Kosher salt
1. Slice the sweet potatoes into thin and even slices.
2. Sort the slices onto a baking sheet.
3. Add oil, salt and pepper.
4. Put them in already preheated oven and bake them till they get grown.
Recommendations: You can use cumin, or rosemary to season your sweet potato chips.
Tip: If you are making a big batch of chips, don’t overlap the slices onto one baking sheet. It is better if you spread them onto two baking sheets, or just cook the chips in batches. Now when you have picked your right potato chips, and you are ready to prepare it, why wouldn’t you garnish your favorite snack with some spicy sauce? That way you will get a delicious and not monotonous snack – and your guests and family will like it even more! I suggest you one perfect fitting sauce, suitable for any occasion.
> Recipe 4: Guacamole Sauce <<
You like strong tastes, spicy food and the Mexican cuisine is one of your favorites? Then guacamole sauce would be perfect to complement your homemade potato chips. And it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare it. No wonder the recipe for this sauce is kept through the centuries: Guacamole is, believe it or not, first made by the Aztecs.
What you need:
– Avocados (the number of avocados depends of your needs – for how many people
you’re making the sauce)
– ¼ teaspoon salt – per avocado
– 2 teaspoons salsa – per avocado
– ¾ teaspoon garlic powder – per avocado
– ½ teaspoon lemon per avocado (you can also use lime juice)
1. Cut the avocados in half and take out the seed (gently squeeze and it will pop out). Put the avocados into a bowl.
2. Put all other ingredients (the salt, the salsa, the garlic powder and the lemon) in the bowl. Mash it till you get smooth mixture. You can leave some chunks if you like.
3. Taste it. You can always add more salt, juice – if it is a little flat, salsa – if it is not spicy enough, garlic powder… You can play with it as much as you want!
Recommendation: You can also use chopped onion for this sauce.
Tip: With the most guacamole recipes, there is a problem finding the perfect avocado. There are different sizes of avocado, different varieties, etc. So, the only trick is to just fine-tune the ingredients. Anyway, whatever you try, the results will always impress!